From Reston, Virginia, USA:

I have the computer game Xylo by the Starbright Foundation (the Life Adventure Series) to teach my 7 year old child. Have you found computer education helpful for kids, or is it better to receive one-on-one education if they are newly diagnosed? Can you point to any studies on this?

A study was done on the Packy & Marlon game [Med Inform (Lond) 1997 Jan-Mar;22(1):77-89] and shown at the ADA meeting a couple of years ago on the decrease in visits to the ER by children who used the Packey & Marlon Nintendo games. We have used them in our clinic area for years, but have not done any studies. I think anything that gives a child a chance to interact and think about things related to his diabetes and that it is fun would be a benefit.