Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from June 1999

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Dec 15 | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I'm 15 who was diagnosed a month ago, and I was wondering are there any "free foods" that can be eaten that don't affect your blood sugar? (30 Jun 1999)

2. My wife has Type 2 diabetes, and she is on no medication for it. She would like to take St. John's Wort to help relieve stress, and would like to know if it is safe to use in her case. (30 Jun 1999)

3. My son is 12 and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 3 months ago. Sometimes at supper and especially at his 8 o'clock needle we have to skip and he is normal in the morning. Is this a common occurrence? How often does this happen or will it stay? (30 Jun 1999)

4. My question is on behalf of a young family who lives in a very small town in northern Minnesota. They have just had their 5th child. This child was born with Nonketotic Hyperglycemia. Is there a university or research facility which may specialize in this where they can get updates? (30 Jun 1999)

5. My son is 4 1/2 years old and type 1. He was diagnosed 7 months ago. Sometimes he says his leg hurts. I heard an advertisement on the radio asking for volunteers with diabetes and leg pains. Can his diabetes be causing him pain at this age? (30 Jun 1999)

6. My son is 7 months old. He has not been diagnosed yet because the doctor won't test him. What is the basic age? (30 Jun 1999)

7. My 5 year, 11 month old son just received his Glutamic Acid test results. His tests revealed a measure of 1.7. We have not been told yet what type of diabetes he has. What does this mean? (30 Jun 1999)

8. My son, age 9, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes several months ago. He had some lab work done this morning for a CBC only. What is the doctor looking for and what can a CBC tell us about my son's diabetes? (30 Jun 1999)

9. If one is using an insulin pump with Lispro and the insulin supply is terminated, then how long does it take before ketoacidosis is a severe problem? (30 Jun 1999)

10. I've been taught that high blood glucose levels can cause many health problems over time. What confuses me is whether the blood being high is the problem or not having enough insulin to feed the muscles and organs is the problem. (30 Jun 1999)

11. My husband is 42, Type 1 diabetic, diagnosed 3 years ago. His last urine test for protein (microalbuminuria) was positive. What does this mean? (29 Jun 1999)

12. Are there any books that talk about living with diabetes that are suitable for a 6 year old in kindergarten? (29 Jun 1999)

13. Can diabetes cause certain odors in the urine, such as a burnt rubber smell? (29 Jun 1999)

14. My brother-in-law has recently been diagnosed. He has ballooned in weight by 5 stone even though he is eating small amounts as specified by his dietitian. (29 Jun 1999)

15. I would like to know how juvenile diabetics fare regarding having normal blood volume. (29 Jun 1999)

16. Is Type 1 Diabetes autosomal or sex related? (29 Jun 1999)

17. My mom injects about 42 units insulin per day. In the last 3 months, she found serious large areas lipoatrophy. What are the reasons for the lipoatrophy? Are there any way to avoid the lipoatrophy or reduce the symptoms? (29 Jun 1999)

18. My son recently had a tooth pulled and the dentist injected Novocaine into the gum. His blood sugar before the procedure was 245 and afterward, 480! Does Novocaine cause an increase in blood sugar or was it the stress of the procedure? (29 Jun 1999)

19. Why is it so important to take care of the feet when you have diabetes? (29 Jun 1999)

20. My 4 year old grandson has type 1 diabetes. Please advise which insulins may be mixed together in the same syringe for his injection, without adversely affecting each other. (29 Jun 1999)

21. I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. If the reading after dinner is not high, then how come the fasting reading is high? (29 Jun 1999)

22. I am trying to understand how long insulin lasts in the bloodstream. (29 Jun 1999)

23. My 5 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 2. He was recently screened for celiac disease, and one test was "undetectable" while the other was "borderline positive." (29 Jun 1999)

24. I am looking for information about high "bad" cholesterol and its interaction with juvenile diabetes. (29 Jun 1999)

25. Are there any charts you would suggest for us to use to track blood sugars and shots given? (29 Jun 1999)

26. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 12 years. I have heard that it is caused by a virus, others say it is hereditary. Which is true? (27 Jun 1999)

27. Have you ever heard of a connection between the onset of juvenile diabetes and epilepsy? (27 Jun 1999)

28. My daughter is almost 13. Could you please tell me if she can expect inhaled insulin and the glucose watch to be available in the coming year? (27 Jun 1999)

29. My doctor is questioning the possibility that I may have both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Is this possible? (27 Jun 1999)

30. When red blood cells die or are destroyed, whatever the process, what happens to the glucose attached to the A1c hemoglobin constituent? (27 Jun 1999)

31. My 18 year old son has had Type 1 diabetes for three years. He was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Will increasing doses of thyroid hormone cause increasing highs after meals? (27 Jun 1999)

32. I have a godchild who has had a 'sugar intolerance' for years; she is now 15. I have been hearing about MODY. What is it? (27 Jun 1999)

33. My friend's son, age 11, was diagnosed at 18 months with Type 1 diabetes. His sugars have been unpredictable and out of control a lot. Now the doctors feel he may have gastroparesis. (27 Jun 1999)

34. My home meter always reads about 30 mg less than the doctor's office. I just bought a new meter that reads in plasma results like a lab so I would assume it is correct. (27 Jun 1999)

35. My son has diabetes. I would like to send him to a camp for kids with diabetes but he is not so sure he wants to. Do I make him? (27 Jun 1999)

36. My 14 year old son was recently diagnosed with diabetes. The doctor is not sure about the type yet but believes that it is behaving like Type 1. Can it be Type IB (MODY) and if it is what is the prognosis? (27 Jun 1999)

37. What are the guidelines used to determine if a diabetic is Type 1 or Type 2? (27 Jun 1999)

38. Our 6 year old daughter has Type 1 diabetes. She was diagnosed with it at 2 years of age. She has recently had problems with asthma. What is the relationship between diabetes and asthma? (27 Jun 1999)

39. What can be done to make insurance companies cover the cost of insulin pens? (27 Jun 1999)

40. My 47 year old father has had diabetes for 9 years. He recently passed out due to low blood sugar, which caused a seizure. Do you have any advice on helping to prevent this from happening again? (25 Jun 1999)

41. How can doctors diagnose babies (from the age of birth to one year) with diabetes? (25 Jun 1999)

42. I'm 20 and have had diabetes for 6 months. How would extraordinary high activity (mountaineering, walking for over six hours a day) affect my situation? (25 Jun 1999)

43. I was diagnosed with Type 2 D.M. at age 47 (I previously had gestational diabetes). I am one of those lean diabetes. Is etiology and treatment any different for lean diabetics? (25 Jun 1999)

44. What is the difference between Actrapid and Humalog? (25 Jun 1999)

45. I heard that there is an on going study that is and was being conducted on insulin and our pancreas. The study stated that our pancreas produces this protein naturally (I recall that they were calling it S3 protein). (25 Jun 1999)

46. How do I make sure I do not hit a blood vessel or a muscle when I give my son his insulin shot? (25 Jun 1999)

47. I have had Type 1 diabetes for the last 32 years (now age 43). I have been striving for the ideal insulin therapy. I have two questions: one concerning nighttime control, and the second concerning insulin pumps, insurance, and US laws. (25 Jun 1999)

48. I read in a prevention magazine that "holy basil leaf" lowers blood sugars. Is there any truth to that? (25 Jun 1999)

49. I am a 34 year old woman, and gave birth to my first baby last year. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Is it not unusual to develop gestational diabetes in the first trimester? (25 Jun 1999)

50. My son is 17 and has had diabetes for 12 years. Today he was told he had too much protein in his urine and was placed on Accupril. Does this mean he is or will have kidney problems? (25 Jun 1999)

51. My mother is 81 and has Type 2 Diabetes. She will be moving in with us and I'd like to know what her approximate daily carbohydrate amount should be for meal planning. (25 Jun 1999)

52. I have had Type 1 for 25 years. Can you explain the symptoms of damage to the digestive tract from the disease? Despite a high fibre diet, I have to use microenemas frequently. Could this be a result of having diabetes for so long? (25 Jun 1999)

53. We test my 5-year-old at least 4 times a day. We test also when there is an obvious need, but we don't chart these numbers. Should I be testing and keeping track of her numbers at more varied times? (25 Jun 1999)

54. My 11 year old daughter has a high insulin level and was said to be insulin resistant. Is that the same as being diabetic? (25 Jun 1999)

55. Is there any alternate medicine (Homeopathy) cure to generate insulin naturally in Type 1 patients without resorting to painful injections of insulin? (23 Jun 1999)

56. Do fevers, ketones, and higher readings such as 400 mean a child has a virus or a cold with no other symptoms present? (23 Jun 1999)

57. My thirteen year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two months ago. My mother was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 10 years ago. I was diagnosed with celiac disease about 1 year ago. Is there any relationship between all of these diagnosis? (23 Jun 1999)

58. What is the consensus for pump use in children? (23 Jun 1999)

59. Are there homeopathic and herbal remedies that can dramatically help, and possibly reverse Type 1 diabetes? (23 Jun 1999)

60. My 9 year old was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. After her evening snack, prior to taking her sugar level test and insulin, can she have sugar free jello or any "free food?" (23 Jun 1999)

61. My friend has had diabetes Type 1 for 25 years, since she was 4. The other day I overheard someone say that juvenile diabetes patients do not usually live past thirty. Is this true? What is the average life expectancy of a person with Type 1 diabetes? (23 Jun 1999)

62. I have Type 1 diabetes and I have a son who is 7 years old. When my son has had few carbohydrates in his diet he becomes very difficult, irritable, angry. Is it possible that he has a sugar related problem, like hypoglycemia? (23 Jun 1999)

63. My son is 5 years old. He was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 9 months old. He also has possible GERD. He takes Zantac but still cries with stomach cramps. Could this be from his diabetes or some of the medication he is on? (23 Jun 1999)

64. My son is almost 3 years old. He has always had an intense craving for items high in sugar. Is this natural or could he have some blood sugar/insulin related imbalance? (23 Jun 1999)

65. My 15-year old daughter has had Type 1 diabetes since the age of 22 months. Recently she showed traces of protein in her urine. Can you tell me what protein in the urine signifies? (23 Jun 1999)

66. My 3 month old daughter was just diagnosed with nesidioblastosis. You seem to indicate that removing part of the pancreas almost always is the end result to solving PHHI. (23 Jun 1999)

67. I am 18 years old and was diagnosed with insulin dependent diabetes at the age of 4. I want to know how a hypo, which hits me quite regularly, will harm me, and in which way (especially brain). (23 Jun 1999)

68. My daughter has had diabetes now some 3 years. We expressed interest to our doctor regarding the "counting carbohydrates" system. The doctor told us that he has very little experience in this area. (23 Jun 1999)

69. Our son is three years old. We have been having difficulty keeping glucose levels normal. Is this normal when you're recently diagnosed? (23 Jun 1999)

70. My son had a serious case of croup about 6-8 months before he was diagnosed with diabetes. I heard that it is possible for a respiratory infection to trigger diabetes. (16 Jun 1999)

71. I'm a Type 2, 29-year-old male and was diagnosed last month with a reading of 288. Now after a month of diet, exercise, and intake of a diabetes pill, my fasting reading has dropped to 86. I want to stop the medication to see if I can control just by diet and exercise; is this possible? (16 Jun 1999)

72. My husband was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 5 months ago, after a severe blood infection. A month ago, he became ill with a stomach virus and has not taken insulin since. His sugars have been very stable. No one can seem to tell us if this is honeymoon or "cure". (16 Jun 1999)

73. Our 14 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 10. He has always had nighttime enuresis. My question concerns the use of the drug DDAVP in diabetics. (16 Jun 1999)

74. Is there evidence that indicates whether a diet with lots of sugar and refined food will precipitate the onset of diabetes? (16 Jun 1999)

75. My son who is 6 1/2 has been had Type 1 diabetes since he was 3. We just had results back saying that his HA1c is 8. They say this is high. Any suggestions? (16 Jun 1999)

76. Is there a web site that I can go to in order to obtain statistics on the number of minorities with diabetes? Also, is there are particular agency which has the number of reported cases in a give state, like the Department of Health? (14 Jun 1999)

77. I am 30 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for 9 years. I began developing small reddish/purple bumps on my hands a month ago. I went to the dermatologist who diagnosed me with granuloma annulare. Are there really no treatments? (14 Jun 1999)

78. My 3 year old son has just been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. How much daily exercise is the correct amount for him? (14 Jun 1999)

79. What diet/food should you eat when you have diabetes? (14 Jun 1999)

80. I'm a 22 year old woman with Type 1 diabetes. I would like to know how to safely lose 20 pounds. (14 Jun 1999)

81. I read about a watch that would give a measured dose of medication for diabetes, at predetermined times during the day. Would you have any information or know where to find it? (14 Jun 1999)

82. I have talked with other parents that have lowered their children's blood sugar with exercise. If there is not enough insulin in the body to use the blood sugar, how can exercise lower blood sugar levels? (13 Jun 1999)

83. I have read that people should not use hand weights if they have retinopathy. Can people with retinopathy use any upper extremity resistance or weights? (13 Jun 1999)

84. What can happen to the feet with someone who has diabetes? (13 Jun 1999)

85. My nephew was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. One of his long time goals is to SCUBA dive. Is there any data suggesting that SCUBA diving would not be possible due to diabetes? (13 Jun 1999)

86. My daughter was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 8; she is now 14. She is being seen by a doctor and mental health professionals for depression. Our daughter refuses to take care of herself. She sneaks food, does not do shots on time, and lies to us (her parents) about taking them. (13 Jun 1999)

87. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes seven years ago. I am 56 years old. I was wondering if there has been any documentation about stress related high blood sugars causing emotional problems. (12 Jun 1999)

88. I have a 4 year old that has been experiencing problems with low blood sugar at the onset of an illness. He gets the ketone breath and pale and lethargic. Any suggestions? (12 Jun 1999)

89. My daughter is four years old. She began having seizures when she was two. At that time and several times since then, we have asked her pediatrician and her neurologist if the seizures could be related to diabetes. Is it possible that she could have a blood sugar problem that is causing the seizures? (12 Jun 1999)

90. My son, aged 7, has had diabetes for almost 2 years. He was just diagnosed with alopecia. Is there a relationship between Type 1 diabetes and alopecia? (12 Jun 1999)

91. Is there any research on sudden behavior changes in early childhood related to diabetes? My son has sudden mood changes that can last 20 minutes to an hour. Afterward he is glassy-eyed and lifeless for at least 15 minutes. (12 Jun 1999)

92. I have a 27 year old daughter with Cri Du Chat Syndrome. Several months ago, she was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Have you seen or heard of another person with Type 1 Diabetes or perhaps even Type 2 who also has Cri Du Chat syndrome? (10 Jun 1999)

93. My 10 1/2 year old daughter was diagnosed last year. Her blood sugars are so wild, anywhere from 45 to 300 in any given day. They have her on a constant carb diet. We count carbs at each meal and snack. (10 Jun 1999)

94. My 2 year old son was recently diagnosed. We were told to keep his blood sugar between 70 - 200 with 80 - 120 being ideal. If his sugars consistently run in the 120 - 200 range, will he be at a higher risk for complications? (10 Jun 1999)

95. When you answered the questions about environmental factors, why don't you mention vaccinations as a possible cause? (10 Jun 1999)

96. My husband has had Type 1 diabetes since the age of 25. At the time he was in the Navy. They gave him a smallpox vaccination. He had a severe reaction to the vaccine and a few months later was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Are they related? (10 Jun 1999)

97. Why can't you keep insulin in the freezer and then let is thaw? Does the insulin molecule denature? What is the temperature range that is okay in order for the protein to remain active? (10 Jun 1999)

98. I heard about a specific bacteria that has been specifically linked to the destruction of the insulin producing cells of the pancreas. (10 Jun 1999)

99. I was told that cold insulin can cause scar tissue when injected. I have always stored insulin in the refrigerator for my 8 1/2 year old daughter. What is your advice? (10 Jun 1999)

100. My five year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2. She has developed a rash on her bottom that I believe is a yeast infection. How do you treat a yeast infection of the skin? (9 Jun 1999)

101. Our 6 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes (since age 4). We are keen to explore whether better control could be achieved with a pump. Are there any physicians in the UK with experience of pumps in this age group that we could seek advice from, please? (9 Jun 1999)

102. Should maltitol be calculated like the other sugar alcohols by dividing the carbohydrates in half? (9 Jun 1999)

103. My father has diabetes and his blood sugar is staying around 67. What can I do to bring it up? (9 Jun 1999)

104. We will be traveling at the end of the month to Ireland with my five year old daughter who has diabetes. Do you have any knowledge about how Type 1 diabetes is treated in Ireland? (9 Jun 1999)

105. Can one develop resistance to long acting insulin (NPH)? My morning blood sugars are high. During the day when I take Humalog, they are more stable. Increasing the night time shot does not seem to help. (9 Jun 1999)

106. I am a 25 year old Type 1 diabetic and am moving to Spain for 9 months. I am planning on bringing a large amount of supplies with me. Do I need anything more than a note from my doctor? (9 Jun 1999)

107. My eleven year old son has developed hypoglycemia unawareness. Is there any other way of treating this? (9 Jun 1999)

108. I am a 26 year old female, diagnosed with Type 1 about 2 years ago. I run 3-4 miles daily and would like to train for a marathon. Is this possible? (9 Jun 1999)

109. I was diagnosed 4 years ago. Do you have any suggestions for losing weight? Such as what kind of things I should include and not include in my diet, what kinds of exercise, and stuff like that? (9 Jun 1999)

110. My son is 12 and has Type 1. The effect on his blood sugars for long acting insulin (NPH and Ultralente) seems to be decreasing. Is there any evidence that might support an individual becoming immune to any type of insulin? (9 Jun 1999)

111. I have heard that an extract from the Citrosa plant is used in Lebanon in the treatment of diabetes. Are there any known benefits? (9 Jun 1999)

112. Our was diagnosed 7 months ago. Although we maintained good control at first, her blood sugars now fluctuate from anywhere between 3.0 to 27 mmol/l in a day. What are we doing wrong? (7 Jun 1999)

113. I have had diabetes now for six and a half years. I still have not been able to get a handle on it, and I'm a bit confused as to the next step I should take. (7 Jun 1999)

114. I understand how illness can cause blood glucose to increase, but why does a child sometimes have low blood glucose readings that are hard to raise during an illness? (7 Jun 1999)

115. My daughter was diagnosed several months ago. I am having trouble finding low- or no-carbohydrate snacks for the times she is high but needs to eat a meal or is hungry for a snack. (7 Jun 1999)

116. I am a 17 year old non-overweight, white male. I recently have been experiencing many of the symptoms of having diabetes for about a week. (7 Jun 1999)

117. I have used an insulin pump for three years. I have developed extreme lipoatrophy/dystrophy in my thighs, even though I rotate sites religiously. What is causing this? (7 Jun 1999)

118. How would the amount of caloric increase in a cardiac diet for an elderly person with Type 1 diabetes that has a fever, plus a wound infection be determined? (7 Jun 1999)

119. Whenever I get ketones I get a burning sensation that is very painful in my throat. Is this caused by ketones and what exactly is going on? (7 Jun 1999)

120. My 10 year old son has just found out that he has Type 1. My sister says my son is still in the honeymoon period. Please explain to me the honeymoon period. (4 Jun 1999)

121. My 8 year old niece was diagnosed with diabetes about a week back. The doctors are still testing if it's insulin dependent or not. If it is insulin dependent, what are the methods by which insulin can be administered? The only method that is known here is of injecting it. (4 Jun 1999)

122. My eight year old son was diagnosed with diabetes about six months ago. Before that he was diagnosed with ADHD. Could high blood sugar levels mask as ADHD? (4 Jun 1999)

123. My 16 year old son has Type 1 diabetes. He also has Down's Syndrome. I know that most teenagers are managing their diabetes on a four injection per day regimen using the pen. Do you have any experience of Down's Syndrome people on this regimen? (4 Jun 1999)

124. During our daughter's last two clinic visits, her thyroid gland is enlarged. Is it recommended that children with Type 1 Diabetes and an extremely elevated thyroid antibody level begin thyroid treatment immediately? (4 Jun 1999)

125. My daughter had been ill for about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. Her pediatrician did a test on her urine to determine if she had a urinary tract infection. They found sugar in her urine. Is this a precursor to diabetes? (4 Jun 1999)

126. My daughter was recently diagnosed with a UTI. I did a Uristix on her urine to check if there were signs of the UTI recurring and found she had +++ of ketones. Do you think that an overnight fast (and mild fever) could account for the ketonuria? (4 Jun 1999)

127. My son's endocrinologist is suggesting we switch to Humalog instead of R (at least at bedtime), as this would leave his system quicker and reduce the risk of hypoglycemia during the night. I noticed, however, that Humalog is not recommended by the FDA for children under 12. (4 Jun 1999)

128. Our son is 18, newly diagnosed Type 2. He also has irritable bowel syndrome as do I, also a Type 2. We need the potatoes, rice stuff to keep bowel from going to constant diarrhea; the green leafy stuff is giving us fits. Any recommendations? (4 Jun 1999)

129. How is diabetes caused? And how is it diagnosed from other diseases? Which other diseases have similar causes? (4 Jun 1999)

130. I am a 50 year old female diabetic. I was placed on 2 hyperglycemic oral mediations had the same effect each time. I developed severe nausea and vomiting resulting in dehydration. Do you have any suggestions about how to modify my diet to imrpove my blood sugar control? (3 Jun 1999)

131. I have a child that is 6 years old. I went to one doctor and they told me that his blood sugar was too high. She then referred me to another doctor, and she said that his sugar was too low. (3 Jun 1999)

132. My daughter is 4 years and 9 months old and was diagnosed four days before she turned 3. For the past 7 months I have had great difficulty in keeping her suppertime blood glucose in the target range. (3 Jun 1999)

133. My grandson was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. His glucose count was 1044! For years I stressed to have him checked. (3 Jun 1999)

134. My 7 year old son has had fluctuating blood sugars for 3 years. In the past 2 months he has had 4 episodes of low sugars, swelling of lymph nodes in armpit and groin, night sweats, etc. Any ideas? (3 Jun 1999)

135. I am recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I am searching for diet information and carb and sugar counters. (3 Jun 1999)

136. I am 48 years old and was diagnosed after my blood glucose went to 450. I was not diabetic before that. Am I diabetic? (3 Jun 1999)

137. Our 9-year-old son was diagnosed almost 2 years ago with Type 1. We are struggling with morning high blood glucose readings. My biggest concern is that he is scheduled to receive a pump in a few weeks, and we need to get this bedtime dosage figured out by then, don't we? (3 Jun 1999)

138. My daughter has had diabetes for 1 1/2 years. Her doctor just put her on 3 shots a day. Do you think this new method will make a difference? Her doctor thinks she is too young for a pump. (3 Jun 1999)

139. After I eat sugar I get really hyper. Someone mentioned something about hyperglycemia. I was just wondering if I could have that or any other type of diabetes. (3 Jun 1999)

140. The Cygnus corporation is submitting a pre-market approval for the GlucoWatch non-invasive monitor to the FDA. What is the most effective way for us to help push the FDA for approval? (2 Jun 1999)

141. My 17 year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes about two months ago. Her blood sugars have been in the 200s during the morning and seem to steadily increase by the end of the day into the 400s. I am getting somewhat concerned that her levels are not coming down. (2 Jun 1999)

142. My son was diagnosed 8 years ago with Type 1 diabetes. He has motility problems with his bowel after a gastric emptying test. His doctor said that nothing can be done. Should we go to another doctor? (2 Jun 1999)

143. A research programme has just been launched within the Nordic countries. Newspaper articles connected with this news say that 50 percent of all diabetics will experience complications later in life. Is the 50 percent probability correct in general? (1 Jun 1999)

144. My 65 year old mom has had diabetes for about 5 or 7 years. She says you can reuse a single-use needle over and over. I want to know what risks she is taking and how do you care for the needle if you really have to reuse it? (1 Jun 1999)

145. I would like some information on diabetes and women's issues. (1 Jun 1999)

146. I am 12 and have had Type 1 for almost two years. My last two dental checkups have shown 3 cavities, which the dentist is concerned about. He thinks they're caused by the phosphoric acid in diet soda. Is there something else I can drink? (1 Jun 1999)

147. Do you have any anecdotal evidence that consuming diet soda causes bingeing or other unusual eating practices? (1 Jun 1999)

148. Can pancreatic problems lead to hypoglycemia? I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and then my sugar drops to 22-56 at most on average day. (1 Jun 1999)

149. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 30 years. During the last weeks I have noticed that my hands and feet are feeling cold. Is this "cold" feeling something that is related to my long duration of diabetes? (1 Jun 1999)

150. A friend referred me to an article by Julian Whitaker. He recommends Chromium Picolinate. He also suggests Biotin, Magnesium, Vanadyl Sulfate, etc. (1 Jun 1999)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts