I am a 38 year old obese male (5'9", 275 pounds) who needs to lose weight and exercise and there probably lies most of the cure. Until I can find the motivation, my doctor has me on two different diabetes pills. I would rather not take anything, but if I do, would rather try natural.

A friend referred me to an article by Julian Whitaker. He recommends Chromium Picolinate (however a government study I found shows no significant health benefits and the danger that you can "overdose" on it). He also suggests Biotin, Magnesium, Vanadyl Sulfate, etc. Are any of these things worth the money and time invested or should I focus on doing what I know I need to do? I'm trying to be honest. I was giving Whitaker some credence until I noticed that he is hawking vitamins.

We will learn more with time. There are studies going on about alternative medicine right now.

Chromium can be dangerous in large amounts. The others, who knows, good or bad?

So I can't feel comfortable telling anyone to take something that might be dangerous that doesn't have any definite positive effect.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations