Question:

From Clifton Park, New York, USA:

I am 12 and have had Type 1 for almost two years. My last two 6-month dental checkups have shown 3 very deep cavities, which the dentist is concerned about. He thinks they're being caused by the phosphoric acid that is in the diet soda. He says that dentists use this substance to take the enamel off of teeth so that the bonding solution used to put on braces adheres better. Since I stay away from juices (they're so high in sugar) and dislike water, is there something else along with my milk that I can drink?

Answer:

You might try 'Crystal Light' which is sweetened with aspartame or 'Lite Style' by Ocean Spray, water flavored with a little lemon juice or iced tea and if all else fails water itself!

Posted to Daily Care and Meal Planning, Food and Diet