Question:

From California, USA:

Our son is 18, newly diagnosed Type 2, with carbo kick at night. He was more active playing football, ice skating, but now not so much activity. Anyway, he also has irritable bowel syndrome as do I, also a Type 2. We need the potatoes, rice stuff to keep bowel from going to constant diarrhea; the green leafy stuff is giving us fits. We feel caught in a "Catch 22" situation. Any recommendations? Tried dietitians twice: totally inept! This morning due to us both feeling horrible. I am fixing us a potato with minimal butter just to get bowels calmed down.

Also, son has had the flu and did not eat yesterday, I pushed fluids but he took minimal in contrast to his normal.

Answer:

I think there are quite a few challenges going on here, especially with the possibility of dehydration and ketones. Please go to your local diabetes team. If your son is not being seen by a diabetes team, with dietitians used to dealing with growing teenagers with diabetes, ask for a referral.

LSF