My 16 year old son has Type 1 diabetes. He also has Down's Syndrome. He is currently on a two injection per day regimen (Actrapid and Monatard). I know that most teenagers are managing their diabetes on a four injection per day regime using the pen. Do you have any experience of Down's Syndrome people on this regimen? Has it been successful and what are the drawbacks experienced? To what extent are Down's Syndrome people able to achieve some degree of independence from their carers if using this regime?

I appreciate that this is a very personal issue, and that is why I am very cautious to change over to the other regime. I would like to know how other teenagers with Down's Syndrome manage their Diabetes. What insulin regime they are using. Please can you put me in touch with these people.

You do not mention if your son is in good control--that is, what his last Hemoglobin A1c was or if he has a lot of highs and lows. It seems to me that if he is doing fine, there is no need to change the treatment plan. Many treatment plans can provide good control and as long as your son can do the things in life that he enjoys without his diabetes getting in the way, I would see no reason to change.