From Illinois, USA:

My 10 year old son has just found out that he has Type 1. My sister-in-law's little girl is 4. She found out when she was 18 months. My sister says my son is still in the honeymoon period because we have him pretty much controlled. Once in a while he will have a reading of 200 or a little over. Please explain to me the honeymoon period.

I am also wondering what the difference between a pediatric endocrinologist and a doctor who is a Diabetic Specialist. She makes hints to me that my doctor is not good. But our numbers aren't too bad. He takes 2 shots a day now: Mixture of R and N in A.M. and R at supper. Please help me out.

You can read more about the honeymoon period in the pages of Children with Diabetes. It refers to the variable time after diagnosis when the body is still making some insulin on its own. Because diabetes is caused by immune damage to the insulin secreting beta cells, those that are still alive at the time of diagnosis are still under attack and will eventually disappear. While they are working, however, the amount of insulin that has to be injected is less and the "wrinkles" in blood sugars may be ironed out.

If you are happy with your doctor and your daughter is well with good blood sugar control, then stick with him.

Posted to Honeymoon