Question:

From Lexington, South Carolina, USA:

My daughter was diagnosed several months ago. She was only 15 months old. She is a good eater and I am having trouble finding low- or no-carbohydrate snacks for the times she is high but needs to eat a meal or is hungry for a snack. Can you give me some suggestions?

Answer:

I would highly recommend you get in touch with your dietitian and the diabetes team for suggestions. You do not mention what insulin regimen she is on but it may be that it could be changed to allow a little more flexibility. One of the things that can be risky for young children is omitting food for high blood sugars. Sometimes the blood sugar will drop rapidly when least expected. You might try cheese or peanut butter on a small cracker. Another resource that addresses this issue is the book Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace. There are many good suggestions for young children and for kids as they grow up.

JM