From Biddeford, Maine, USA:

I have had diabetes now for six and a half years. I still have not been able to get a handle on it, and I'm a bit confused as to the next step I should take. I am Insulin Dependant, Type 1. Any suggestions?

Get in contact with a doctor who works with a diabetes team and go for the education/self management program.

Additional comments from Joyce Mosiman:

You do not say if you are working with an Endocrinologist who specializes in diabetes. I would start there. Many times a specialist can identify problems with the treatment regimen that may not be evident to others. I would hope that this person would have a team of professionals including a dietitian to provide any help you might require in altering your diet if necessary. The local American Diabetes Association would be able to tell you who the specialists are in your area. You may need to ask for a referral from your primary physician and he or she may have someone in mind.

Additional comment added 26 Jul 1999