From Phoenix, Arizona, USA:

I am a 25 year old Type 1 diabetic and am moving to Spain for 9 months. I am planning on bringing a large amount of supplies with me. Do I need anything more than a note from my doctor? My insurance over there will not include prescriptions. Do you know what the prescription laws are like in Spain? Do you have any websites about diabetes in Spain for me?

There are many ADA affiliated physicians listed for Spain in the ADA Membership Directory. I do not know where you will be staying, but it might be a good idea to contact one of those individuals.

Your diabetes doctor is probably a member of the ADA, and would have this Directory. Or ask your local hospital's library if they have a copy.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

See Websites Multilinguisticos and Non-English Web Sites for links to Spanish-language websites (some of which are in Spain!).

[Editor's comment: You may also wish to contact the Spanish Diabetic Society at:

Spanish Diabetic Society
Santa Isabel, 51
28012 Madrid, Spain

Posted to Traveling