Question:

From North Carolina, USA:

Can one develop resistance to long acting insulin (NPH)? My morning blood sugars are high. During the day when I take Humalog, they are more stable. Increasing the night time shot does not seem to help.

Answer:

Not at all. I think what you observe (called the dawn phenomenon) is quite common due to relatively low doses of insulin over the first part of the nighttime secondary to the short half-life of the supper dose of lispro insulin [Humalog® brand].

It sounds as you should first check whether:

1. The NPH is injected at a sufficient dose and at bedtime;

2. The 3:00 A.M. blood sugar is okay, to be sure that you avoid the Somogyi Effect

and then adjust your regimen accordingly, under the supervision of your diabetes team.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA