Question:

From Fullerton, California, USA:

My father has diabetes and his blood sugar is staying around 67. What can I do to bring it up? He eats three meals a day plus snacks. I do give him orange juice but that has not helped. Can you help me with any suggestions?

Answer:

I would say if your father has low blood sugar symptoms at blood sugars of 67 you need to call the doctor and discuss a medication adjustment. You do not mention if your father is on insulin or oral medications. Another suggestion might be to give him 4 oz. of juice and follow it up in 10 or 15 minutes with a starch and protein snack such as peanut butter and crackers.

I think a call to his physician might be the best route to go.

JM