Question:

From a physician in Manchester, United Kingdom:

Our 6 year old daughter has type 1 diabetes (since age 4). We are keen to explore whether better control could be achieved with a pump. Through you excellent site, we teamed up with a same age US-resident "twin", who is now doing far better with a pump. Are there any physicians in the UK with experience of pumps in this age group that we could seek advice from, please?

Answer:

At the moment, there are no physicians, to my knowledge, with active experience of using pumps in children in the UK. A major reason for this is the cost of this method of treatment with pumps costing around £5000. Hopefully, there will be some opportunities to trial some pump products, but I don't see them becoming very popular here for financial reasons.

Posted to Insulin Pumps