Question:

From Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada:

Recently I heard about a specific bacteria, similar to salmonella, present in milk that has been specifically linked to the destruction of the insulin producing cells of the pancreas. I have not been able to confirm or disprove this information. Can you provide any insight?

Answer:

I have not seen any report of such a bacteria nor could I find one in a review of the National Library of Medicine (MEDLINE). Historically, of course, tubercle bacilli, typhoid and Brucellosis could lead to a pancreatitis; but not specifically for insulin producing cells.

I wonder if what you were thinking of could have been a paper in the February issue of the journal Diabetologia which suggested that one of the triggers for autoimmune diabetes was early exposure to cow's milk containing A1 + B beta casein, as distinct from A2 beta casein which showed no such effect.