From Ontario, Canada:

My 15-year old daughter has had Type 1 diabetes since the age of 22 months. Recently she showed traces of protein in her urine and now must undergo another 24-hour urine test. Can you tell me what protein in the urine signifies?

We now look for early signs of damage to the kidneys (nephropathy) caused by diabetes. We treat it at a very early stage to preserve kidney function. That's the straight truth, albeit a bit frightening to hear.

Diabetes control matters; A1c should be as close to normal as possible without too many hypos. ACE inhibitors, a class of hypertension drugs, work.