From Sherman Oaks, California, USA:

I've read about Fenugreek Seeds and Bilberry Leaves which help natural insulin production, etc. Are there homeopathic and herbal remedies that can dramatically help, and possibly reverse Type 1 diabetes? One homeopathic doctor told me they can "cure" or stop diabetes. How can one find out more in this approach? I'm finding it hard to accept just giving my son test and insulin, and doing nothing else, waiting for his diabetes to become harder to manage.

I do not know of any supplements that can help with type 1 diabetes. The only reason to use supplements is if there is a specific deficiency of a nutrient and this is very uncommon. Sometimes taking those extras may deplete other nutrients in the body so I would strongly suggest not doing so.

You might wish to contact your local ADA or JDF branch to see if there is a support group for families dealing with diabetes since I see your frustration with the disease. Otherwise, ask your local diabetes team for such a group so you can see you are not alone.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations