From Miamisburg, Ohio, USA:

My 11 year old daughter has a high insulin level and was said to be insulin resistant. Is that the same as being diabetic? I know this seems like something I should already know -- but I feel as if we have been left on our own by our local physicians. She has been following a low-sugar diet and exercising. It was explained to us that she could become diabetic because of this -- but then I read in a book that it was diabetes. Please clarify.

Insulin resistance is part of the picture in Type 2 diabetes. Obesity, and a genetic predisposition will often lead to diabetes. We are seeing this as an epidemic in children.

She should stay on top of it, try to lose weight, exercise, monitor blood glucose and be ready to take diabetes pills if the blood sugar goes up.