From Winter Springs, Florida, USA:

My mother is 81 and has Type 2 Diabetes. She has had diabetes now for about 15 years and is now insulin dependant. She will be moving in with us and I'd like to know what her approximate daily carbohydrate amount should be for meal planning. She is on 25 units of insulin in the A.M. and 18 units in the P.M.

I would like to help you, but I would be remiss to try to decide what carbohydrate level your mother should be on without actually talking with her and looking at her nutritional needs. I would highly recommend you take this new opportunity to find a health care team that includes a dietitian who is experienced in working with senior citizens and with diabetes. She or he should be able to better meet your needs.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

See Finding a New Diabetes Doctor for some help in finding nearby diabetes specialists.