From Athens, Greece:

I'm 20 and have had diabetes for 6 months. How would extraordinary high activity (mountaineering, walking for over six hours a day) affect my situation? I'm on a 2000 calorie diet. How much should I increase the calorie intake?

I would suggest you ask your diabetes team to help you evaluate your situation. Since you do not mention if you are on insulin or any medication I really don't know how to answer this question very thoroughly. You are correct in thinking you will need more food and possibly less insulin. Altitude also affects people differently, so you must take into consideration all the factors. I hope you can find some specific information from your health care team.

Posted to Exercise and Sports