Question:

From a nurse in New Jersey, USA:

My friend's son, age 11, was diagnosed at 18 months with Type 1 diabetes. His sugars have been unpredictable and out of control a lot. Now the doctors feel he may have gastroparesis. Can't use Propulsid or Reglan [two different prescription medications for gastroparesis]. Is on a drug holiday at present (except for insulin). Uses Humalog. Any suggestions? They are very frustrated and I feel more testing should be done, but I'm not sure what to advise.

Answer:

It would be very unusual for an 11 year old to have severe gastroparesis. I assume the proper radiographic studies were done to confirm this.

If the radiographic studies do not conclusively point to gastroparesis, I would make sure other causes of gastric distress have been ruled out including gastroesophageal reflux, inflammatory bowel disease, celiac disease, lactose intolerance, and food allergy.