Question:

From Metairie, Louisiana, USA:

My 18 year old son has had Type 1 diabetes for three years. He was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. He is now taking a thyroid hormone pill. Before the thyroid diagnosis, he was using R and N, and was well controlled. After starting thyroid therapy, his blood glucoses became high immediately after meals and low before the next meal. We have adjusted by substituting 1H for 1R before meals and he seems okay. Will increasing doses of thyroid hormone cause increasing highs after meals? Why didn't after meal highs occur when his thyroid was normal?

Answer:

Although it is well known that an untreated underactive thyroid can decrease insulin requirements (and treating it will increase insulin requirements back to normal), I have never heard of the blood sugars being increased only after meals with treatment. Is it possible that your son's appetite increased with treatment and he is now eating more than before at meals? In any case, the most important thing to do is adjust the insulin according to the blood sugars which it sounds like he is doing.

Posted to Thyroid