Question:

From Cypress, California, USA:

My doctor is questioning the possibility that I may have both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. Is this possible?

My C-peptide verifies that I am Type 1, however, my resistance to even my injected insulin along with my positive results of combining insulin with Glucophage [metformin, a pill for Type 2 diabetes] is what is leading him to this hypothesis. What is your opinion?

Is there a test specifically for type 2 diabetes?

Answer:

It is theoretically possible that you have both Type 1A or autoimmune diabetes together with some form of Type 2 diabetes; but I have never encountered a case. The best way to help resolve your diagnostic problem would be to ask your doctor about getting an antibody test done. The number to call for details is 1-800-425-8361. A positive test would indicate Type 1A diabetes; but a negative one would not exclude it if you have had diabetes for more than a year.

The precise diagnosis is not nearly as important as doing all you can to maintain really good blood glucose control.