Question:

From Reston, Virginia, USA:

I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Since yesterday, I have started monitoring my blood sugar levels 4 times a day. Readings were 119 2 hours after breakfast, 163 after lunch and 119 after dinner. But, this morning the reading (fasting) was 109. If the reading after dinner is not high, then how come the fasting reading is high? I had 1 cup milk and 1 egg white as a bedtime snack at 10:30 P.M. after I took the dinner reading. My understanding is that my body should recover insulin production after 2 or 3 hours after eating. If my understanding is not correct, please resolve my confusion?

Answer:

You are right about the after-meal glucose; it should be about back to normal by 3 hours, but in the night you have lots of things happening to raise your glucose. After the meal glucose goes away, your liver is giving you glucose to keep some in the blood stream so you have fuel. Your insulin level and glucagon (another hormone from the pancreas) keep the liver glucose in balance, except when your liver cells are "insulin resistant" and don't turn down the glucose level low enough. Also, the hormones of pregnancy and growth hormone in the early morning hours make you more insulin resistant.

Your goal for the fasting glucose is to be less than 90 mg/dl. If your morning glucose continues to be elevated, you will need an insulin shot at bedtime to get it in the normal range. I can tell you for sure, it is worth it to have a healthy happy baby.

VV

Posted to Gestational Diabetes