From Leicester, United Kingdom:

My brother-in-law has recently been diagnosed with diabetes. After trying various insulins, his consultant has placed him on Humalog. Although his sugar levels are now under control he has ballooned in weight by 5 stone even though he is eating small amounts as specified by his dietitian.

Is it possible that he could be allergic to this type of insulin? Please help as my brother-in-law is getting very despondent with his condition.

Weight gain after diagnosis is very common -- usually replacing weight lost before diagnosis. Nonetheless, this usually plateaus fairly quickly and your brother in law's diabetes team will be monitoring his weight.