Question:

From Guaynabo, Puerto Rico:

My 5 year, 11 month old son just received his Glutamic Acid test results. His tests revealed a measure of 1.7. We have not been told yet what type of diabetes he has, since the condition was diagnosed about a month ago and the doctor was waiting for the results. What does this mean?

Answer:

It sounds to me as GADA (Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Autoantibodies) have been performed in your son. These are among the most important autoimmune markers (such as ICA, IA-2A and IAA) to be found in newly-diagnosed type 1 diabetic patients as well as in prediabetics. They reflect the autoimmune attack of patient's T-lymphocytes against his/her own beta cells. Actually, GADA seem to be more frequent in older type 1 than in children where IAA usually appear first. Last but not least, the measured value you report must be judged upon the reference values of the lab where the antibodies has been assayed.