Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from July 1999

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My 41 year old fiance has had Insulin dependent diabetes since he was 12. He complains of burning feet, sometimes sharp pains shooting through feet. (29 Jul 1999)

2. We have two meters that give different readings when taking readings at the same time. What should we do? Are there any that you recommend? (29 Jul 1999)

3. I am 18, female, sedentary for the past few years, and somewhat overweight. After recent Internet research, I believe myself to have some form of reactive hypoglycemia. (29 Jul 1999)

4. I am very concerned about my son. For the past week his blood glucose levels have been very high. He has poison ivy and just had a shot of cortisone right before all this started. Could either the poison ivy or shot be the cause of his high blood sugar? (29 Jul 1999)

5. My 9 year old daughter has been diagnosed with OCD/Tourette/possible ADD or ADHD. We have always noticed a significant difference in her behavior when she has not eaten, or when she has sugar. Is there a chance that part of her problem could be hypoglycemia? (29 Jul 1999)

6. My five year old daughter was diagnosed. How many controls should I perform each day for the blood sugar meter? If she has not expressed any interest in learning to inject the insulin herself, should I push her to do it? (29 Jul 1999)

7. My daughter is Type 1, has been for 3 years and doing well. My question now is about myself. I have had a few "panic attacks" for the first time in my life. (29 Jul 1999)

8. I am a school public health nurse working with a very angry 14 year old. He is interested in the theater, computers and was into football until diagnosed. Are there any famous people with diabetes in these fields? (29 Jul 1999)

9. Two months ago, my sixteen month old nephew contracted type 1 diabetes. When he is sick or just doesn't feel like eating. What can you suggest? (29 Jul 1999)

10. I have a 9 year old boy who was diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. He has also been receiving allergy treatments since he was 3 years old and began asthma treatment at the age 7. What type of allergy medication can he take that will not increase his blood sugar levels? (29 Jul 1999)

11. Can you tell me the normal range for the hemoglobin A1C test? (29 Jul 1999)

12. My daughter was diagnosed about 9 months ago. Three months later, we had her first A1c which was 9.3. Recently she had another A1C that is 7.1. We were initially thrilled and then confused. Is this too tight of control for a 3 year old? (29 Jul 1999)

13. My son is 14, was diagnosed 2+ years ago, is type 1 and is growing like a weed. I have been reading many question categories for the last three hours or so and have three questions. (26 Jul 1999)

14. My 5 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes two months ago. We find that by lunch his blood sugar crashes into the 60-70 range and then by late afternoon he is torpid and typically blood sugar goes above 200. (26 Jul 1999)

15. My fiance has had type 1 diabetes since age 4; he is now 36. We've only been together 8 months and this is all new to me but I've been reading a lot and studying hard on the subject. Right now I am very scared. (26 Jul 1999)

16. My friend, age 27, has been diagnosed with diabetes. He has eliminated sugar from his diet and his levels are still high. What type of diet do we need to try? (26 Jul 1999)

17. I am a 26 year old male with type 2 diabetes. From what I understand, people my age with type 2 diabetes are rare. My efforts to find some kind of support or even information on dealing with type 2 diabetes as a young adult have come up dry. (26 Jul 1999)

18. My 17 year old son was diagnosed 5 years ago with Type 1 Diabetes. He was recently hospitalized in ketoacidosis. He keeps his insulin and meter in his room and requests his privacy. His 14 day average was 483 and he is only testing once a day. (24 Jul 1999)

19. My son is 11 years old and has type 1 diabetes going on 3 years now. I am very interested in the inhaler. My son hates taking shots and this would be a great help to him. (24 Jul 1999)

20. My father has brittle diabetes and his episodes of hypoglycemia are increasing all the time. My mother is frantic and is not sure what to do. (24 Jul 1999)

21. Please send me some information about treatment of diabetic polyneuropathy with foot pain with alpha-lipoic acid. (24 Jul 1999)

22. I work in an institution catering to the Developmentally Disabled population. At present we have a 56 year old woman with Down's Syndrome who is a brittle Type 1 diabetic. Many times she bottoms out at 2 A.M. and her blood sugar range is usually < 10 to around 35. (24 Jul 1999)

23. I have gained 25 pounds recently as we have changed my type of insulin. I watch what I eat very closely. Would it be safe to try the low carbohydrate diet? (24 Jul 1999)

24. My sister "inherited" type 1 diabetes at age 7. My mom says it is a genetic disorder, and if it is, from what gene does it come? (24 Jul 1999)

25. My 2 year old's endocrine doc recently told me that studies have shown that high blood sugars that occur (300's for instance) on a regular basis (say every morning) in an otherwise fairly well-controlled (mid 100's) diabetic child will not have the same harming effects for later in life as they would if the child were over the age of 10. (24 Jul 1999)

26. I am 37 weeks pregnant, gestational diabetic and have been controlled by diet alone. Given that I am 3 weeks away from delivery what is your opinion on introducing insulin? (24 Jul 1999)

27. Would high blood sugar levels affect the results of a Breathalyzer test, such as giving false readings? (24 Jul 1999)

28. Our daughter has had Type 1 diabetes since the age of 6. She is 19 years old now. Around 13 years of age she was also diagnosed with myoclonic epilepsy. We are having a very hard time stabilizing her blood sugars. Please, I beg you to let me know if there are any other diabetic/epileptics out there. (24 Jul 1999)

29. Does hypothyroidism have an effect on the function of the pancreas? If it does, what is it? Does the medication for blood sugar control become ineffective because of hypothyroidism? (24 Jul 1999)

30. My nine year old son had a very low sugar level at birth. I have noticed over the past few months he has come down with a lot of headaches whenever he has a late dinner or misses a afternoon snack. I was wondering if this could be a symptom of diabetes. (21 Jul 1999)

31. How are sibling incidences of diabetes tracked and who placed the possibility of developing the disease at 6%? (21 Jul 1999)

32. How low does your sugar have to be to go into a coma? I am a 10 year old male who has been diagnosed for 1 1/2 years. (21 Jul 1999)

33. I'm 11 years old and have diabetes for 1 year. I injured my growth plate in my thumb and have been in a cast for 2 weeks. It has been very painful and my hand swells. My blood sugars have been very high since my injury. Can this be related to my injury? (21 Jul 1999)

34. A friend has been told that red meat in the diet will help stabilise their child's diabetes. How true is this? (21 Jul 1999)

35. My daughter, age 1, has been insulin dependent since she was 9. She has also been diagnosed with Graves' Disease. Last night, she came to me in tears because she has a number of long, dark hairs that are growing on her neck. Is this a side-effect of insulin resistance, of Glucophage, of high blood sugar? (21 Jul 1999)

36. My son, age 6, was just diagnosed three months ago. I cannot seem to find a place to take care of him during the day while I am at work. (21 Jul 1999)

37. My 15 year old daughter was diagnosed two years ago. She frequently breaks out with light cases of acne which clear, except 1 or 2 spots that always develop into open sores that take a week or two more to heal. Does her glucose levels have anything to do with this? (21 Jul 1999)

38. I have a 12 year old daughter with Type 1 diabetes. She has been diagnosed just over 3 years now. I have been doing research on niacinamide and how it could help with this problem. Is this really effective? (20 Jul 1999)

39. I have heard that the triple vaccine for measles, mumps and rubella has been linked to the onset of Type 1 diabetes. My son is 11 years old and was diagnosed at 6 years old. I feel that this vaccine could have been a factor in his contracting diabetes. (20 Jul 1999)

40. I have a 2 year daughter who was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I heard that they are treating diabetes in France using 'Fenugrec' (arkogelules therapeutique) together with artichokes. (20 Jul 1999)

41. My granddaughter was diagnosed 1 at 22 months. Her parents and her grandmother smoke continuously. We all know smoking is bad, but for a toddler with diabetes it must be especially bad to be exposed to second-hand smoke. Can you can provide me with results of a study or any other "official" warning? (20 Jul 1999)

42. My son will be 4 in a few months. He was just recently diagnosed with Type 1. My 7 year old daughter just started softball and I am missing her games because of my son's dinnertime. Can dinner be adjusted on game days? (20 Jul 1999)

43. Recently I had a very low sugar without warning. Can I anticipate this happening more often? (17 Jul 1999)

44. My diabetic thirteen year old daughter got the flu last autumn and has been vomiting ever since. She has been diagnosed with gastroparesis. Is this a common malady of young diabetics? (17 Jul 1999)

45. My husband is a juvenile onset diabetic. We have a 10 month old son, and have been giving him cheese, some yoghurt, and other cow's milk for 2-3 months. (17 Jul 1999)

46. How is the dosage of insulin figured? How much insulin do you need? (17 Jul 1999)

47. My 15 year old daughter was diagnosed when she was 6. For at least the past two years she has had proteinuria. She has low blood pressure and I am told her eyes are fine. My endocrinologist says some teenagers have protein in their urine and it is not diabetes related. (17 Jul 1999)

48. My 25 year old son is an apprentice golf professional and having difficulty controlling his blood sugar. He is wondering if an insulin pump would be beneficial for him. He is concerned about placement of the pump. (14 Jul 1999)

49. My nine and half year old son is interested in the pump but his doctor does not put kids younger than 11 years old on the pump. Are my son's doctor's concerns valid? Should I fight for him getting a pump? (14 Jul 1999)

50. I have Type 2 diabetes. Besides diet and exercise and medication to control blood sugar, are there any natural aids to help blood sugar levels? (13 Jul 1999)

51. My 6 year old grandson has had diabetes for a month. and short term. Since he has started insulin he has became really overactive, he talks back to you, and he does not listen. Before he was well mannered and behaved real good. Could this be coming from the insulin? (13 Jul 1999)

52. My brother is 16 and was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 13. He is on Novo Nordisk's PenMix 30. He is a successful football player and has two games a week. What is the desired calorie amount for him to take before a game? Is it okay if he eats honey or chocolate as much as he wants before a game? (11 Jul 1999)

53. My son (age 9 years) was diagnosed at age 6 years. Our problem now involves the choice of private secondary school which insists that our child present at the sick bay for all finger prick tests because of the risk of blood cross infections, etc. (11 Jul 1999)

54. My 10 year old son with diabetes experiences rebounds in the afternoons. I feel this is because of his inability to recognize low blood sugar condition. Could you please send me some information? (11 Jul 1999)

55. My daughter, 12 years old, has Type 1 diabetes. She plays basketball with a highly competitive league. We were thinking of giving her an insulin shot of Humalog at 3 P.M. and having her eat dinner then. (11 Jul 1999)

56. Many of the recipes I found, however, call for sugar substitutes like Equal and Sweet'n'Low. These substitutes cause headaches for my mother. Do you have any suggestions for alternatives when these are called for? (11 Jul 1999)

57. Other than drawing blood for Islet Cell Antibodies, how can you differentiate between Type 1A and Type 1B? (11 Jul 1999)

58. Does anyone have any good solid information pertaining to seizures that are on set by hypoglycemia? (11 Jul 1999)

59. My granddaughter had been urinating a lot just in the past week. My daughter seems to think she is at risk for developing diabetes because of the diabetes she had while pregnant. (11 Jul 1999)

60. For a newly diagnosed Type IA diabetes patient, is it necessary to send certain laboratory studies before giving exogenous insulin? (11 Jul 1999)

61. My 14 year old daughter with diabetes has had two seizures at night in the last several months. I would like to know if there is any equipment available to detect low blood sugars or seizures so that we could be more proactive in this situation. (11 Jul 1999)

62. My 14 year old daughter has recently started writing the wrong blood sugar down in her log book. I found out by accident when I checked the memory in her meter for some missing numbers. How to I broach the subject with her? Is this normal or common? (9 Jul 1999)

63. Can vita-nutrients, such as calcium AEP, given during the first year after diagnosis, reverse or improve Type 1 diabetes? (9 Jul 1999)

64. My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 11, and just turned 20 this past week. We have learned ever so much thanks to our diabetes team. I would like to know if there are any organizations locally that are looking for volunteers. (9 Jul 1999)

65. My 12 year son has been on the pump for 8 months. His numbers were great on injections with a 6.2 hemoglobin A1c but since he has been on the pump, his numbers have been all over the place and now has a 9.2 A1c. What do you think could be the problem? (9 Jul 1999)

66. I have a 5-year old daughter with type 1 diabetes. We travel extensively by car. During long road trips, we have problems with our NPH insulin going bad. Is there a preferred method of protecting the NPH insulin? (9 Jul 1999)

67. I am 16 years old and I want more information on Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes. I have Type 1 and my daddy has Type 2. (8 Jul 1999)

68. Are alpha cells affected by the autoimmune response like the beta cells? In other words are they destroyed in the same way? (8 Jul 1999)

69. My daughter was diagnosed last summer. Her doctors recommend that we avoid "sugar" products, even though new research has shown that total carbohydrates are more important than the type of carbohydrate. Do simple sugars spike the blood sugar levels faster and drop down more sharply and quicker? (8 Jul 1999)

70. I would like to know if there is any link between vaccinations and diabetes. (8 Jul 1999)

71. Our 10 year old daughter, who has had diabetes for 3 1/2 years, was tested for celiac disease due to some stomachaches she was having. The results were negative. Does this mean she will never develop celiac? (8 Jul 1999)

72. Our 6 year old diabetic son's dietitian told us that he should have a snack 2 hours after his breakfast. I was very curious about his reading at 9:30 A.M. I was shocked to find out that the average of 8 days reading at 9:30 A.M. is 263. (8 Jul 1999)

73. My mom has been diagnosed with borderline diabetes. What kind of fruits can she eat, and what kind she cannot eat? (8 Jul 1999)

74. My 4-year-old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 7 months ago. Once we brought him home from the clinic, his insulin needs dropped drastically. Is the prognosis for future complications better for Type 1B? (8 Jul 1999)

75. We recently admitted a nine year old new onset diabetic to our facility. The physician ordered an antipancreatic Islet Cell blood test which came back negative and also a serum insulin level which came back 48 (high). Please explain the significance of these tests. (8 Jul 1999)

76. My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 2 weeks ago. We also have a 11 year old daughter who has Down's syndrome and hypothyroidism. I am wondering if my 11 year old has a greater risk because her sister has developed diabetes? (8 Jul 1999)

77. I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago with Type 2. I am trying to get pregnant. My general practitioner prescribed Glucophage. My OB/GYN told me to go ahead and take it. I have since read that Glucophage should not be taken during pregnancy. (8 Jul 1999)

78. Are you a diabetic if you are overweight and get these red bumps that really itch, and since your mom is a diabetic she says you may be one too? (8 Jul 1999)

79. My daughter is 5 years old. I am interested in trying to preserve whatever pancreatic function she still has left. Is this possible? (8 Jul 1999)

80. I was wanting to know if there is any experimental drug or test in our area that we could volunteer our son for. Please give us some hope to pray about so I don't have to see my son with this for his whole life. (8 Jul 1999)

81. My brother has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last month.He does not have access to a diabetic dietitian. He eats primarily Indian food. My dad is worried he may eating too much protein. What do you think? I want to talk to a dietitian nearby. Can you give me any pointers on finding one? (8 Jul 1999)

82. My stepdaughter is 14. Her endocrinologist's staff tells her she can eat whatever she wants between meals, so long as she takes a shot. How much is too much insulin to take in one day? And what will the long term effect of this be on her body? (7 Jul 1999)

83. I have a 6 year old daughter. When we give her insulin, she has an allergy. Often painful tumours appear on her body. (7 Jul 1999)

84. I am a 64 year-old woman. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 8 months ago. I would like to know what kind, if any, alcohol I could drink (scotch, vodka, etc.). (7 Jul 1999)

85. Not too long ago I received an e-mail from an unknown user that offered me some "pills" that supposedly help a child keep glucose levels down close to normal. Is there such a pill? (7 Jul 1999)

86. What is the highest blood sugar on record where the diabetic survived? (7 Jul 1999)

87. My husband (63) has had diabetes for 10 years. He experiences terrible cold sweats at night. His blood sugar is high in the evenings, but is normal in the morning. I was told that he is crashing. What is crashing? (7 Jul 1999)

88. Does the pressure injector (Medi-ject) have any pain when it goes it into the skin? (5 Jul 1999)

89. How does the diabetes symptom polyphagia occur? Something that stimulates our hunger center? What's its mechanism? (5 Jul 1999)

90. I am a diabetic, having been diagnosed with Type 1 at age 36. All my doctors are confused. Is it possible that I got diabetes from a drug I may have been given in the past, or stress I may have undergone? (5 Jul 1999)

91. What is the best way to treat warts on the feet of my 7-year old son who has had Type 1 diabetes for 2 years? (5 Jul 1999)

92. What is glycoalbumin and what are the normal values? (5 Jul 1999)

93. Can you tell me what the term LADA refers to? (5 Jul 1999)

94. I have an 8 year old daughter that was diagnosed with Type 1 about 6 months ago. She is on 3 shots per day. For the most part she does really well. But sometimes, the shots hurt worse than other times. Is there something that can be applied to the skin to numb the area before taking the shot? (5 Jul 1999)

95. I am trying to find a juvenile diabetes support group for a student that I work with. He is ten years old and was diagnosed two years ago. He has very little support at home and I feel that a group would help him greatly. (5 Jul 1999)

96. I am a school nurse, and I have a 15 year old severely noncompliant student who manipulates his diabetes. He is completely out of control at home and in school. Can you make a few recommendations? (5 Jul 1999)

97. I've had Type 1 diabetes for 13 years. I'm a student at university. It's hard for me. Therefore, I can't control blood sugar because of the anxiety, stress, boredom and other psychological stress. (5 Jul 1999)

98. My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 4 months ago. She was under a lot of emotional stress at the time. Could this stress trigger the onset of diabetes? (5 Jul 1999)

99. My father (70 years old) has been having trouble with his meter. His problem is trusting the result he is getting from his meter. Is there a meter that will calibrate itself prior to or at the same time the sample is being applied and tested? (5 Jul 1999)

100. Some of the news coverage of Kosovo has focused on conditions of the refugees and the health care being given in the camps. Is there any information about what happens with diabetics in such refugee circumstances? (4 Jul 1999)

101. I am considering adopting a child whose father (early 20's) has type 1 diabetes. What is the likelihood that the child will develop diabetes? Are there any tests that can be performed on an unborn child to determine if the child has diabetes? (4 Jul 1999)

102. I have been diabetic for 23 years. The last few years I have noticed the insulin doesn't work as good as it used to. How do you find out if you are insulin intolerant? (4 Jul 1999)

103. What are the blood sugar levels of an infant (under one year)? Our 8 month old daughter has been having seizures and we think it might be related to her blood sugar levels. (4 Jul 1999)

104. Do you recommend that diabetics take Vitamin E? I heard it may decrease the risk of atherosclerosis. (4 Jul 1999)

105. Have there been any studies done regarding low-dose aspirin therapy in young Type 1 patients that relates to longer term vascular outcomes? (4 Jul 1999)

106. Can you refer me to a list of fruits without sucrose? My 5 kids have sucrose allergies. (4 Jul 1999)

107. I keep tight control of my blood sugar. If it rises too fast, my eyes feel funny. The eye doctor said it had to do with the lens of the eyes. Will having these experiences which happen quite often to me, cause damage to my eyesight later on? (4 Jul 1999)

108. Please tell me if there is any link between childhood immunizations and the development of Type 1 diabetes. (3 Jul 1999)

109. My daughter is almost three years old. Recently her doctor suggested I take her to the hospital. Her glucose level was 120. The Emergency Room doctor said that he believed my daughter was diabetic. (3 Jul 1999)

110. I have made my daughter sugar-free candy. It says that it contains Maltitol. How much can she have if it is sugar-free? (3 Jul 1999)

111. Are there any tests other than the 24 hour protein test which checks for kidney problems? (3 Jul 1999)

112. My niece is about 2.5 years old, and has diabetes. Day to day her sugar level varies. What is the remedy for this? Should she take the medicine daily or not? (3 Jul 1999)

113. My 3 year old son was diagnosed as Insulin dependent 5 months ago after contracting E. coli which resulted in Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome. Have you ever heard of insulin dependence resulting from HUS or E. coli? (2 Jul 1999)

114. My daughter is 30 months old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a year ago at 18 months. Are there any trials going on in the UK that we could participate in? (2 Jul 1999)

115. I am 32 years old and have been on insulin for four years. I heard that it was okay to reuse disposable syringes. Is that true? If it is true how do you reuse them? (2 Jul 1999)

116. I am 13 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at around age seven. I have recently noticed that almost every morning I find ketones in my urine. Is there a way to prevent this? (2 Jul 1999)

117. When my child has a severe low and I find it necessary to treat with instant glucose, this always results in her becoming nauseated and vomiting. Are there any alternatives? (2 Jul 1999)

118. I'm a fourteen year old Type 1 diabetic. Until recently, I had really good control. My dinner blood sugars are consistently high. Can you give me any explanation or tips that I could use to try and control my dinner sugars? (2 Jul 1999)

119. My 29 month old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 6 months ago. We have been successful at getting her blood sugar levels in control during the day but are struggling with the night time. She is waking up with numbers in the 190-240 range. (2 Jul 1999)

120. I am 33 with type 2 diabetes, and I have had really long (3 or more months) menstrual cycles for many years now. I have started reading an on-line support group for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Do you think I should try controlling my carbs more to see if that will help me get more regular? (1 Jul 1999)

121. Several years ago, I had to rush my wife to a hospital because of stomach pains. 30 minutes after we got there she had a baby. Two years later, our son was diagnosed with Type 1. Is there any connection to him getting this disease and this rare type of birth? (1 Jul 1999)

122. I just want to know about how much does one carbohydrate unit affect blood sugar, and how long does it take to get it to its highest. (1 Jul 1999)

123. I am looking for a sugar-free food supplement. I need to lose 30 pounds. (1 Jul 1999)

124. I have heard that hypoglycemia in children and young adults is now considered a possible pre-diabetic condition. What metabolic changes lead from hypoglycemia to hyperglycemia with aging? (1 Jul 1999)

125. Does mitochondrial diabetes present only in youngsters? Is there ever a motor "myoclonic" neurological association with any of its genetic forms? (1 Jul 1999)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts