Question:

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

I'm a fourteen year old Type 1 diabetic. I developed diabetes 8 months ago. Until recently, I had really good control. My dinner blood sugars are consistently high. I have been adjusting my N dose to try and lower them, but they are still high. I've recently started checking my blood at the insulin's 'peaking time' and it is from 10 - 13 mmol. I'm not sick or am experiencing that I can tell would cause this to happen and I'm a very active person who participates in many sports. Can you give me any explanation or tips that I could use to try and control my dinner sugars?

Answer:

You haven't had diabetes for very long and your recent deterioration in control may be because you have come out of the honeymoon phase. Now is a good time to go over your diet, sports program, and insulin regimen with your diabetes team.

Posted to Honeymoon and Daily Care