Question:

From Texas, USA:

When my child has a severe low and I find it necessary to treat with instant glucose, this always results in her becoming nauseated and vomiting. The end result is that we end up going to the Emergency Room for an IV. Are there any alternatives to this catch-22 situation?

Answer:

A severe low by itself, even without your treatment, may result in nausea, vomiting and headache. The body responds with its hormones such as glucagon to help bring up the blood glucose level, and these symptoms may occur. Work with your diabetes provider to see if you can prevent the episodes of severe hypoglycemia where possible.

LM