Question:

From Spring Hill, Florida, USA:

I am 40 years old. Was diagnosed with NIDDM and PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) 1 1/2 years ago. I am currently taking 400 mg of Rezulin [a pill for Type 2 diabetes] daily to treat these conditions.

I keep tight control of my blood sugar. If it rises too fast, my eyes feel funny. The eye doctor said it had to do with the lens of the eyes. Will having these experiences which happen quite often to me, cause damage to my eyesight later on?

Answer:

Rapid changes in blood sugar can affect the shape of the lens; but this is due to the movement of water to or from the adjacent compartments. It carries no special long term consequences though you might think to talk to your doctor about ways in which you might achieve less volatile control.