Question:

From New York, USA:

My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 4 months ago. She was under a lot of emotional stress at the time. Could this stress trigger the onset of diabetes?

Answer:

Many times a child will be diagnosed with diabetes following an illness of some sort. Stress doesn't cause diabetes but it is possible for the stressor to push a person who is on the way to the diagnosis "over the line" so to speak. I find this more common in adults actually. Diabetes has biological roots and does not spring from stress.

CMB

Posted to Stress