Question:

From Quincy, Massachusetts, USA:

I am trying to find a juvenile diabetes support group for a student that I work with. He is ten years old and was diagnosed two years ago. He has very little support at home and I feel that a group would help him greatly.

Answer:

I would start with your local Juvenile Diabetes Foundation and American Diabetes Association chapters to inquire about local support initiatives. Also, I would investigate area hospitals/clinics to see if there is a group in place. Sometimes there is one for parents and that can lead to one for children. Finally, I would call the offices of local endocrinologists (specialists in diabetes care) to see if they can refer you to a group.

CMB