Question:

From Ostroleka, Poland:

I have a 6 year old daughter. She has been suffering from diabetes for 8 months. She takes Eli Lilly N and R insulin. When we give her insulin, she has an allergy. Often painful tumours appear on her body. They disappear after 1-2 days, but they leave bruises. Although I administer her anti-allergy medicines, the problem still remains.

Answer:

There is a protocol to desensitize for insulin allergy. A good pediatric endocrine center can get in touch with Lilly to obtain it. Seek a specialist hospital and ask.

Additional Comments from Dr. John Schulga

It may be a problem with the preservative and carrier fluid. Has changing insulin to another brand been considered?

JS

[Editor's comment: Sometimes, the welts are due to the latex stopper on the insulin bottle. You can try cleaning the needle with alcohol after drawing the insulin. SS]

Additional comment added 25 July 1999
Posted to Insulin and Complications