Question:

From Oregon, USA:

My brother (23 years old, 5' 10", about 110 lbs) has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last month. He lost almost 20 lbs in the last year (but we didn't know it was because of diabetes). His blood glucose is controlled now (about 130 fasting).

He does not have access to a diabetic dietitian. He eats primarily Indian food - grains (wheat, barley, rice), lentils, beans, some vegetables, coffee/tea.

My dad is worried he may eating too much protein, what do you think. (He is eating mutton once a week, 2 eggs a week)?

Are fish, eggs, lamb, chicken okay to eat? How much can he eat? Can he eat fish for lunch on Monday, eggs for lunch on Tuesday, lamb the third day, etc. Is that too much non-vegetarian food?

I want to talk to a dietitian nearby. Can you give me any pointers on finding one?

Answer:

I agree, I think it best to speak with a dietitian nearby and get these questions answered. I would say the meats/eggs you are indicating are fine, but then how are they prepared and what is the portion size? As far as finding a registered dietitian, who preferably is a certified diabetes educator, you might want to call AADE at 800-832-6874. I am glad you are concerned about what your brother is eating and want to give him some correct advice. Unless he is very small-boned, he is quite underweight

LSF