From New Brunswick, Canada:

My daughter is 5 years old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 3 months ago. Present insulin dosage is 4 U in A.M., 2 U in P.M.; her weight is 36 pounds. I am interested in trying to preserve whatever pancreatic function she still has left. Is this possible?

Your goal really is to extend her honeymoon period. Try to keep her metabolic control as good as possible, both to avoid stimulating her endogenous insulin production, and to halt the autoimmune process against the residual beta cells.

[Editor's comment: There may be research studies going on in your area looking at this possibility. I suggest you contact the Canadian Diabetes Association to see what might be available to you. SS]

Posted to Research: Cure