Question:

From Bellevue, Washington, USA:

My 13 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 2 weeks ago. We also have a 11 year old daughter who has Down's syndrome and hypothyroidism. I am aware of the connection of Down's syndrome and diabetes.

I am wondering if my 11 year old has a greater risk because her sister has developed diabetes? Also, is it true that the gene for diabetes may be on the 21st chromosome?

Answer:

Your 11 year old daughter has an approximately tenfold increased chance of getting Type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes before age 20 as compared to a child of the same age who has no affected sibling. This probability is further increased by the hypothyroidism which suggests that she may already have the Autoimmune Polyglandular Syndrome, a condition in which one or more autoimmune syndromes, including diabetes, may be associated. There is no single gene for diabetes; but in Type1A the main predisposing genes are for the MHC (Major Histocompatibility Complexes) which are in the short arm of chromosome 6.

At all events I think you should talk to your younger daughter's doctor about getting an antibody testing since a negative result would indicate that she is unlikely to follow her sister's course. A number to call for more information is 1-800-425-8361.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity