Question:

From West Palm Beach, Florida:

I would like to know if there is any link between vaccinations and diabetes. My son, who is 4 years old, is scheduled for vaccinations which is required to start kindergarten. He is not diabetic but both of his sisters are diabetic. They are 12 years old and 8 years old. I have heard mixed reports on certain vaccines that may trigger the onset of type 1 diabetes. I would like to know how true this is before I take him for his appointment.

Answer:

There was a flurry of reports a few years ago to the effect that the timing of certain immunisations could initiate Type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes. These, for the most part, came from a single investigator. Subsequently there has been a formal pronouncement by the Communicable Disease Center that they considered these conclusions to be unfounded. With two sisters who are diabetic though, you should certainly talk to your son's doctor about getting an antibody test done: the number to call for more information is 1-800-425-8361. Finally, there is one exception to the above which is that the children of mothers who have not had German Measles or been immunised for Rubella are at additional risk for subsequent diabetes.

[Editor's comment: The reports related to immunizations can be found on the vaccines.net web site. The web site is run by Classen Immunotherapies, Inc., owned by John Barthelow Classen, M.D., and author of the reports. Also, see Concerns about Diabetes and Vaccines: Questions and Answers from the Centers for Disease Control web site. JSH]