From Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 65-year-old mother was just diagnosed with a high blood sugar and is undergoing testing for diabetes. I was looking for some recipes and your site was very helpful. Many of the recipes I found, however, call for sugar substitutes like Equal and Sweet'n'Low. These substitutes cause headaches for my mother. Do you have any suggestions for alternatives when these are called for?

You might try Stevia, although expensive, it is available in health food stores and is derived from a plant. I don't think it has been through the testing to pass the FDA standards yet.

You might try just counting the carbohydrate and cutting the sugar in half or using applesauce to replace part of the sugar.

Additional comments from Stephanie Schwartz, diabetes nurse specialist:

There's another new sweetener, called Splenda (sucralose), that you might also try.