Question:

From Greece:

My brother is 16 and was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 13. He is on Novo Nordisk's PenMix 30. He is a successful football player and has two games a week. What is the desired calorie amount for him to take before a game? Is it okay if he eats honey or chocolate as much as he wants before a game?

Answer:

I would say that what he eats before a game should be based on his blood sugar before the games. It is really not okay to eat large amounts of sweets without knowing what the blood sugar is. I hope he can discuss his activity and insulin doses as well as his meal plan with his diabetes team soon.

JM

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Meal Planning, Food and Diet