From Ohio, USA:

I am 50 years old, female, one year ago diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Besides diet and exercise and medication to control blood sugar, are there any natural aids to help blood sugar levels? I am particularly interested in chromium picolinate. Is this of any value to a type 2 and are there other vitamins, etc., that could be beneficial to me?

You are asking a very timely question regarding other therapies available on today's market. Alternative medicines, or herbal therapies, have been getting a lot of attention lately.

Sadly, there is not a great deal of scientific proof pro or con regarding these products. When my patients ask about this, and they do on a regular basis, I suggest they try the product and see if it has any positive affects for them. Why not try the chromium picolate, always staying within the recommended dosages, and see if it impacts your diabetes control.

I would also recommend you discuss with your physician, before beginning anything new, the routine use of vitamin E as well as other vitamins and a daily dose of aspirin.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations