Question:

From Maryland, USA:

My son will be 4 in a few months. He was just recently diagnosed with Type 1. My 7 year old daughter just started softball and I am missing her games because of my son's dinnertime. Can dinner be adjusted on game days? Maybe give a snack and dinner and dinner around bedtime snack. If we do, when do I give the insulin, before snack or dinner?

Answer:

You really do need to talk with your diabetes team about adjusting the schedule. It is important to give insulins about the same times each day and at specific intervals in order to maintain an effective insulin level in the blood. Not knowing the insulins your son is on, it is hard for me to say. I have had some children take their evening insulin, eat a snack at the regular meal time and then eat dinner after the ball game. I think this is what you said.

Please check this out with your health care team before you embark on changing your schedule. I do think it is very important that you get to those games and that diabetes be made to live with you, not the other way around.

JM