Question:

From Stoke-on-Trent, England:

I have heard that the triple vaccine for measles, mumps and rubella has been linked to the onset of Type 1 diabetes. My son is 11 years old and was diagnosed at 6 years old. I feel that this vaccine could have been a factor in his contracting diabetes but I can get no straight answers in this country. All I know for sure is that the incidence of IDDM has increased since the introduction of this jab. Do you have any information or know where I can find any?

Answer:

There's a hot debate nowadays about vaccines and Type 1 diabetes. A very recent paper in the British Medical Journal seems to definitively exclude any effect of vaccine towards causing type 1 diabetes, as other papers had been stating in the past.