Question:

From Vero Beach, Florida, USA:

My son, age 6, was just diagnosed three months ago. He is very active in sports when not at school. Now school is almost over. I cannot seem to find a place to take care of him during the day while I am at work. He is still rollercoasting. I would like to know what most people do in this situation.

Answer:

Safe and nurturing child care is hard to find, and diabetes can add an extra challenge. I would pursue your school vacation plans as though your child did not have diabetes, trying to find a good place/person. Then see how the diabetes will fit in.

It will likely require education of the people taking care of your child. Some people are lucky enough to find situations for their children where the child care providers already have experience with diabetes. Otherwise you can help the staff to understand the basics. See if your diabetes doctor/team can help as well. There are education materials available for staff and teachers. One is a video called "Tips for Teachers" available from Maxishare.

LM

[Editor's comment: See Diabetes at School for more information about child care issues. JSH]

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare