Question:

From Palmdale, California, USA:

My son, aged 12, has Type 1 diabetes. I know that the chances of my daughter developing the disease are around 6%. But two siblings of our diabetic support group have just been diagnosed with Type 1 within the last four months! How are sibling incidences of diabetes tracked and who placed the possibility of developing the disease at 6%? Is there an increase of sibling cases on the rise? Are better tracking methods needed?

Answer:

The Diabetes Prevention Trial Type 1 (DPT-1) is the answer. I recommend all siblings participate in the DPT trials.