Question:

From Alameda, California, USA:

My sister "inherited" type 1 diabetes at age 7. My mom says it is a genetic disorder, and if it is, from what gene does it come?

Answer:

Assuming that your sister has the commonest form of diabetes in childhood in the US, that is, Type 1A which is due to a disorder of the immune system then the main genetic locus is on Major Histocompatibility Complex (MHC) locus of Chromosome 6. There are a number of other genes also involved. If you would like to read about this in a great deal more detail try http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/oxch7.html.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity