Question:

From Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, USA:

My daughter was diagnosed about 9 months ago. Three months later, we had her first A1c which was 9.3. Recently she had another A1C that is 7.1. We were initially thrilled and then confused. Is this too tight of control for a 3 year old?

Answer:

Great question. To help answer it, one needs to know: what is the blood sugar average, what is the range (highest and lowest values), what per cent are within the target range and what per cent low.

I try to keep a decent average, with the smallest range and very few lows. I would sacrifice a lower number for the A1c to prevent lows in a 3 year old.

[Editor's comment: Be sure to read Conventional Versus Intensive Diabetes Therapy in Children with Type 1 Diabetes. JSH]

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c