Question:

From Virginia, USA:

Can you tell me the normal range for the hemoglobin A1C test?

Also, my son usually walks 20 minutes after he has eaten his supper meal. Usually it makes the sugar go down. But for the past 2 days when he walks it makes the sugar go up. Can you explain why? His sugar levels range from 140-120. He is on diet and exercise only right now and his A1c test was 5.9. Then, after his sugar goes up, it can also drop quickly sometimes too.

He is 12 and he was diagnosed 4 months ago but the doctor says he doesn't know if it is type 1 or 2. Can you maybe also give me some information that may help me in this too?

Answer:

Hemoglobin A1c is not nationally standardized. Ask your doctor if the lab is standardized to the DCCT. He may not know but can ask. DCCT upper limits of normal are in the 6.0-6.1 range.

The timing of food and exercise is likely the problem with the glucose change after the meal and with exercise. The winner is dependent on the day! For those with very high glucoses, exercise can increase it, but not here.

As to type, he might be in a honeymoon and have Type 1, or he might have Type 2 since he's on no insulin, but there are tests that your doctor can do to help with the actual diagnosis: ask about doing antibody tests.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Diagnosis and Symptoms