From Calgary, Alberta, Canada:

Two months ago, my sixteen month old nephew contracted type 1 diabetes. When he is sick or just doesn't feel like eating. What can you suggest? My sister has tried force feeding him Monoject gel. As such a youngster, they find it very difficult to get him to eat and he is not yet old enough to say what's wrong. Consequently, they find that they are having to wake him up at midnight to test his blood sugar when he is low throughout the day, and the last thing the little guy wants to do after being waken up is to eat or drink. Any suggestions or alternatives that they can try?

This is a very difficult age and these parents are not alone with this problem. I highly recommend the purchase of a book called Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin. In the book these issues are addressed. If one is not careful at this age, the child can get control of the eating situation and put parents through endless hoops.

Offering foods that the child likes and offering a choice between two things may help. Sometimes children this age drink a lot of calories and are not hungry for solid foods. I suggest that liquids be limited 30 minutes to an hour before meals and that juice be limited to 4 oz a day.