From Manassas, Virginia, USA:

I am a school public health nurse working with a very angry 14 year old; diagnosed 3-4 years ago with Type 1 diabetes. He is interested in the theater, computers and was into football until diagnosed. Are there any famous people with diabetes in these fields that he can see the reason for compliance? He is impressed with Mary Tyler Moore, but she is the only "modern" person I have on my list.

The best list of famous people with diabetes is at The Famous Diabetics WebSite. See my review of that site for the American Diabetes Association.

For athletes with diabetes there is the International Diabetic Athletes Association When I reviewed that site for the ADA, the IDAA said they would shortly have a list of famous athletes on-line. It doesn't seem to be there yet, but you can write them. I also mentioned three or four in another ADA column.

[Editor's comment: I'd also mention Miss America. WWQ]