Question:

From Madrid, Spain:

My five year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Until recently she was only on NPH (3 units morning, 3 units at night). Now I am adding half a unit of Regular in the morning. I have two questions about her management. First, how many controls should I perform each day for the blood sugar meter? Second, If she has not expressed any interest in learning to inject the insulin herself, should I push her to do it?

Answer:

1. If your technique is good, test with control solution with a new vial of strips only.
  2. Five is too young to expect to inject. Some do, but I don't push it.