From Crestline, California, USA:

I am 18, female, sedentary for the past few years, and somewhat overweight. After recent Internet research, I believe myself to have some form of reactive hypoglycemia (and have had symptoms for the past 5 years). After a glucose tolerance test, my results were: fasting 94 mg/dl (in other fasting samples, has been 83 and 64-not sure if significant); 1 hour 164; 2 hours 110; 3 hours 74. Medical clinic only recognizes fasting hypoglycemia so not diagnosed with anything. Could the semi-high 1st hour reading and then the sharp subsequent drops be deemed "prediabetic" and would this be because of too much insulin too late? I also have symptoms of frequent urination and thirst (for past 3 years) and my grandpa was IDDM.

From the information I have provided, can you tell me anything about what my glucose levels might mean, and should I get an insulin tolerance test and/or "antibody" test (which I have only just read about on your site)?

I presume that your own doctor instigated the tests that you describe and that he/she has suggested that the results are within normal limits and that antibody testing is not really indicated especially as it is not known whether your grandfather's IDDM was due to Type 1A or autoimmune diabetes or to some other form.

I would agree that the tests you describe demonstrate no firm evidence of either glucose intolerance or hypoglycemia due to first phase insulin release. An antibody test (call 1-800-425-8361 for details) might relieve you of some anxiety but a negative results would not exclude other forms of diabetes at your age, all of which are uncommon anyway.

For the time being, the best contribution that you could make to your general health would be to instigate a program of regular exercise and weight reduction. Neither, however, will be easy to initiate or sustain.

[Editor's comment: You may want to talk to a Certified Diabetes Educator to help get your program going, and help you keep it going. WWQ]